Thursday 23 July 2015

Happiness is...

"What image do you equate with happiness?"

At the time of my first question, I was just asking so I can revamp the look and feel of my blog. The various answers from my fans and fams got me here! *sounding trumpets* We have a blog post! 

I took to the streets of my life loaded with this very strong and seemingly intelligent question. Jotter in hand? Nope, just an open mind ready to receive. I posed the question to most friends and family a like in a very casual kind of way. (Yes, you were my social experiments for the day!)

...I'm not going to lie I got some weird answers and often my face was scrunched up like a bad piece of paper. Eyebrow lifting and all. My confused expression was often also followed by an over the top, "Oh..COOL ok. "

Although really, what is weird and really what is cool? 

At school we are conditioned to think the same, look the same and do the same and later on graded the same. But something that always got me is, if we all come from different backgrounds, walks of life, circumstances among other contrasts, we obviously then, can't think the same... So, why is a mouse graded for his capabilities as a horse? Or in my case, a lion graded as a stray village cat. 

I guess that's where growing older and liberal thinking gets involved. I am no longer in school and can understand that my friend equates happiness to mindlessly eating Kit Kat, another to puppies. My cousin equates happiness to money, another to children. My sqeezah* equates happiness to me. My mother equates happiness to knitting and I equate happiness to eating. (Always eating and pandas at a close second). Those things, all very different 'happinesses' but all very fine 'happinesses'. We can exist together and get along. Almost like complex puzzle pieces that make a gorgeous image in the end. The catch though is to be patient. 

This is the beauty and journey of life! 

What you think. What I think. Different. What I perceive. What you perceive. Original. It doesn't make me or you less human. Less special. Less fantastic. Less anything in fact. It just makes me, me and makes you, you.

My uniqueness builds a rare character and whether it's slugs, pugs, Uggs or mugs I equate with happiness, that is still definitely something to celebrate. I have every right to smile because I have something exciting that I can think of, draw happiness to myself and repel misery. Not too shabby! 

Remember, happiness can't be measured with a ruler. 

No comments: